articles i wanted, but didn’t get a chance, to read this week: part 67
like balloons on David Carr’s head, opportunities sometimes knock you about. in the best way, of course, but it’s hard to manage all of the demands.
that’s where i am right now and at the risk of sounding like a snot, there’s a lot on my plate at the moment (think overweight midwestern at a Golden Coral buffet). and now i’ve gone and insulted people. see what i mean? my head’s not right this week.
anyway, enjoy these reads! there’ll be a bonus edition come monday (surprise!)
- the new trend in food photography is darkness. think rembrandt but with carrots, Yuppie Chef
- good news! only 3 people were shot at the west indian day parade. does that get another parade? Runnin Scared
- a million congrats to saucy lady Jen Doll for signing a book deal about weddings. attending them, of course, Observer
- in case you forgot, here’s the first article Jen wrote about weddings for The Hairpin. already giddy thinking there’ll be hundreds more pages of this!
- NYTimes public editor wants you know know it’s hard time having reporters misbehave on the internet
- apparently, media isn’t changing. they just have new tricks up their sleeves, AdWeek
- The Guardian tells us some disturbing news - this xenophobic man omitted hundreds of words from the dictionary. say whaaaa?
- congrats to MoMA and all geeks of the world - there is now a video game in their museum, Hyperallergic
- as a person with no Y chromosome, there’s only so much talk of couture gowns and parisian coming out balls i can take before fantasizing of one of my own, The Vivant
- in time for Hurrincane Sandy, Taylor Lorenz shared this delightful e-mail from her 92-year-old grandmother. so delightful it makes me want to turn 92 right now
- i met Cole Stryker last week and then i read this piece he wrote about the internet (not to be confused with the others, also about the internet)
- are you in your 20s and need someone else’s advice? here’s a bit more: books you should read in this ridiculous decade. note: it adds to two tomes a year. can you handle the responsibility, young person???
- in other things i missed, how the internet tweeted about the Mars Rover landing, BuzzFeed
- keeping alma mater Hofstra U classy as fuck, four basketball players were arrested for on-campus burglary, Newsday
- keeping retailers creepy and orwellian, mannequins now spy on you. yes, you read that right, Businessweek
- wondering how to get a perfect photo of a great white shark? not anymore! Daily News
- presented because we know how much i like cookies: Equinox founder shares her favorite fitness apps, Mashable
- christmas is coming all kinds of early - Solange’s single from her newest album. cue the eeeee-ing now, All Songs
- this telekinesis music because it’s cool
- Grover Norquist really really believes in the no tax pledge. even more than he believes in pink unicorms, NPR
- presented because we all know how much i love Meryl Streep and, by default, her offspring: CW is canceling “Emily Owens, MD," Vulture
- all those cool fashion blog people got together and skated around in the park for a bit
- i knew i’d have to take Julie Klausner out soome
- fine, i like “Girls.” whatever. shut up
- did you know you can potty train an alpaca?
- it’s Friday, go have a kiki
- have i mentioned i need a massage? i really need a flipping massage, people! Gilt City
- Asos has this adorable fox scarf and i haven’t stopped thinking about it (vanity prints!)
- Harry Seissman’s apartment came out of my dreams and into Manhattan, Design Hunting
- no bedroom, especially that of a child, is complete without an animal head. a stuffed animal head, that is
- chocolate chocolate everywhere, and i’m going to eat it all!
- dear friend LG introduced me to Kinfolk Mag and now i’m hooked. subscription pour moi please!
- yes also to this tiny bow bracelet!
- if you’re wondering where cheap ass boutiques order their terrible quality goods, it’s sites like this. and you can shop there too!
- The Man Repeller got this swank blanket, and then she wore it as a scarf. fashion is full of surprises
- the NYTimes announced their 10 best books. i only want to read two or so
- there’s a lot of iPhone gloves out there. here’s some in leather
- not all holiday gifts have to be expensive. in fact, you can make some treats to share with friends
- but of course, everything that’s on GOOP’s list will do nicely too
(photo via Carr Gifs, which is brilliant and you should go follow them now!)