hello kiddies, hope everyone had a phenomenal Labor Day! i relaxed so much, i actually hurt my back. let’s consider it a recharging of the batteries before a week chock full of getting my life together. that’s necessary sometimes, don’t you think? since the swinging of the pendulum does go both ways, you have to go to one extreme in order to get it started. this time, i chose the end that left me sitting on mine for four days straight.
since we’re all headed back work today (in one way or another), i hope you’ll recharge your batteries with some brain candy. enjoy this week’s reads!
- what do successful people do in the first hour of work? NOT read their e-mail, dummy, Fast Company
- Forbes list of 100 most powerful women includes 14 from media, MediaBistro. i’ll get ‘em next year
- you guys, clubbing is gross. let these pictures be a cautionary tale, BuzzFeed
- while the RNC is in my hometown this week, there are a lot of monkeys running around. funny that the NYTimes decided to profile just one
- and it wouldn’t be a Tampa mention without a strip club post. so here you go
- i wrote about the racism troubles at the RNC for Muck Rack
- local lady images a day when she won’t be objectified. a gal can dream…, The Onion
- that might be why pretty female comedians pretend they’re ugly. The Atlantic explores. i have a hunch it’s also very much to do with male insecurity
- The Onion, again, makes fun of college newspapers and endorsing Obama. have we read this before?
- “Despite his name, Shia LaBeouf has never been shy.” Bullett has an explanation on this ridiculous sentence
- poor Lilo was banned from the Chateau Marmont. will she return to that weird house with all the giant pictures of her?
- there’s a little boy in germany who likes to wear dresses. to make him feel normal, his father has also started wearing skirts. consider your heart warmed, Gawker
- if you’re enjoying the last days of summer and are inspired to write a short story about it, submit it here!
- i agree 100% with BuzzFeed on this one: if you aren’t following Steve Martin on every social medium know to man, you are missing out
- since our civilization seems determined to go to crap, let’s learn a little about Mesopotamia
- regret nothing is always a sound motto. some old folks help us stick to it
- imagine if Samsung paid Apple their $3 billion in nickels…
- Louis C.K. and the whole “slow comedy” thing, as explained by @mattshafeek in Split Sider
- a history of New York in 50 objects, NYTimes
- a history of Mitt Romney in 30 objects, Mother Jones
- some dancy dance music for your weekend fun
- occasionally i go insane and forget how fantastic All Songs Considered is. luckily, it’s always there when i find my way again
- these baby twins dancing to guitar music is adorable! in 17 years, they’ll be dating John Mayer
- here’s Erroll Garner playing Misty for you. creepy Eastwood movie not required
- this super regular dude points out the power of a posse. and why everyone in Times Square is a fucking moron, BuzzFeed
- covering the RNC got me all angry. here’s some Billie Holiday to calm us down
TO BUY ME:
- i don’t need any more Baggu bags (unless it’s the leather one because i’m dying for one!) but here’s how the company got started, Fast Company
- a suit, and preferably also the man who goes with it, Guys in Suits
- the “do as you pleats” dress from ModCloth is just adorable. considering i usually do (as i pleats, that is), it’s quite perfect, NYMag
- this is a gift for you: if you’re a journalist on Twitter, get yourself a fancy new Muck Rack profile page. here’s where MediaBistro talks about how great they are
- the Lady Prada has made all of the costumes for the new Gatsby film. we may have to wait until summer to see them, but i trust one of you can steal me a dress or two, StyleCaster
- in case there isn’t enough crap you can’t afford clogging up your boards, here are 50 fashion editors you can follow on Pinterest, Racked
- another gift for you: LIC dwellers, take a picture of the Jetblue sign and tweet it to them for a chance to win 2 free tickets (thanks for loyal reader Matthew Knell for sending)
- this lady’s Feng Shuied house is pretty nice. i’d even share it, Design Hunting
- i am so happy for Jamie Beck and her new hubbi and their new design studio and their fabulous friends and their dream life and… (excuse me, i just threw up some jealousy)
- for the fashion minded, Zac Posen has a Tumblr and it’s really pretty good
- Kate Bosworth started an online jewelry company and it has some pretty cute stuff, JewelMint